Friday 18 November 2011

Burnley sign striker

According to the BBC Sport website the clarets have signed the striker Sam Vokes on loan from Wolves. It looks like he will be available for tomorrows clash with Leeds, where he was on loan a couple of years ago.  Lets hope the old 'scores against former club' prophecy will fulfil itself for us in front of the BBC cameras tomorrow.
As I live and work in Leeds I got some 'ribbing' from Leeds fans when we lost both games to them last season.  And they are generally quite arrogant about their history, and ignorant to other club's history.
For example, I might make a lighthearted comment about being a founder member of the football league, to which a Leeds fan might come back with something about how many trophies they have won.  I think to myself "Well, Leeds should have won more.  It's the country's fifth largest city and only has one professional football club." Then I thought "Exactly how much more have Leeds won than Burnley?"
So I checked it out.  They've only won the League once more than us, we're equal on FA Cups and they've won the league cup.  I think the Community/Charity Shield is a bit Mickey Mouse so I won't count that one.  We won it outright once and "shared" it once, and Leeds have won it twice.  But the fact that it was shared says to me that it's not a proper trophy.  That and the fact that it used to be a game between a professional team and an amateur side.  That leaves the UEFA of Eurpoean Fairs Cup which Leeds have won twice.  We were the third English club to ever compete in the European Cup as it was then.  Then you have to take in to consideration the other competitions such as the lower divisions in the domestic league and the Anglo-Scottish Cup, and I think you'll find we are just ahead.

So, anyway, we have to win tomorrow. Have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment